Just say no to corporations

Friday, June 03, 2005

Conservatives Do The Darndest Things...

While looking at some conservative blogs (it's always good to know what the opposition is saying) I came across this site: [link]. The site reminds me a lot of Homer Simpson's website, where he just posted as many little animations he could find. If you scroll down a little bit, on the right hand side, there is an animation of Bush repeatedly pounding on Jonh Kerry. After staring at it for a minute, I realized that I have seen it before. It is stolen from the scene in the movie Office Space when the three main characters decide to finally take out their aggressions on the office printer that never worked. They pasted George W. Bush's head over Michael Bolton's, when he just lost it and started punching the machine with his bare fist.

It is so unbelievable ironic that they chose such an ant-corporate, anti-capitalist movie. That scene, which could be used to represent the ideology of the entire movie, is about the triumph of human ideals over the frustrations of corporate life, and they have mutiliated it to show precisely the opposite: the triump of corporations over the American people.

Of course, I am no fan of John Kerry, but the irony of what they did is almost unbelievable. It is like when Regan funded terrorist attacks on the civilian population of Nicaragua and called it a "War On Terror". It is like how the "Clear Skys Initiative" makes the air much less clear by allowing more pollution in industrialized areas. It is like how the "No Child Left Behind" program leaves many, many children behind by withdrawing funding from failing schools, exactly the schools which need more funding.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should read George Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language".

Notice the date it was written.

Saturday, 11 June, 2005

 
Blogger Immoral Majority said...

I don't know if your suggestion relates to official political language as I mentioned in my post, or is intended as a criticism of my writing.

If you did intend to criticize my writing, I admit, it is a valid criticism. I am an electrical engineer, and while in college, I took only a handful of classes which required any substantial amount of writing. My master's thesis was over 100 pages long, but there was probably only about five pages of actual text. The rest was nothing but equations, derivations, charts, etc. Simply to speak English fluently is rare in my field, and so education beyond that is pretty much not a resonable option. I find that what I do write tends to resemble what I read--articles from scientific journals, and books by Noam Chomsky--two two horrible influences as far as the six rules suggested by Orwell.

If your comment was in relation to the official political language used by government, I think that Orwell's point about use of meaningless phrases as euphamisms was very relavent. We see that all the time today. Both the Democrats and the Republicans are equally guilty of it, and I feel it has been so completely integrated into political society that anyone who didn't use it would likely fail as a candidate.

I have not totally made up my mind on political propaganda, and for more information, I refer you to my previous post "Education vs. Manipulation".

Thank you for suggesting the essay. I have created a link to it on my blog. Even if that was not your intention, I very much appreciate constructive criticism.

Monday, 13 June, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home