Just say no to corporations

Monday, November 07, 2005

Bush Denies Torture?

According to Bush:

"There's an enemy that lurks and plots and plans and wants to hurt America again, so you bet we will aggressively pursue them but we will do so under the law." [link]

Under the law? I guess so, as long as torture is still legal! As I wrote in a previous post, the president has threatened to veto the law banning torture if it does not include a provision making the CIA exempt. Now, with the recent stories of a worldwide network of secret CIA prisons, it all makes sense.

I think the threats are nothing more than that. It would be political suicide for Bush to use his first veto since taking office to veto a bill banning torture. I think that he is just trying to use the threat to force the senate to ammend the bill as he wants. If the house can pass it in it's current form, preferably with more than a 2/3 majority, I don't think that Bush would have the audacity to veto.

If it passes, I doubt the secret CIA prisons would close, but at least there would be a legal means to punish those responsible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home